Happiness = Success

Have you ever heard of a TED talk?
If you haven't, here's a quick breakdown. *a really quick breakdown.
TED is an organization devoted to the spreading of good ideas. They have people speak in their conferences with a time limit of 18 minutes and they use that 18 minutes to get their idea across, whether its through music, comedy, whatever. 
So there you go.

This week in my English class (Tangent: did I mention my teacher looks like the exact identical copy of the guy who plays Scarecrow in Batman? I can't emphasize enough how much alike they look. Seriously uncanny.),
we watched a TED talk called 'The Happy Secret to Better Work.' 

To be honest, I think the title's a little... unintriguing? If that's even a word. Don't think it is. But really, it's a great 12 minutes.
It kind of opened my eyes a little.
For his job, basically he goes to companies, looks for the outliers who are amazing, tries to get everyone else up to the amazing level and just completely changes the 'average' within that company.
So his good idea is that we can go above and beyond the average, and that the key to happiness isn't success, but rather the exact opposite. In order to be successful, we must first be happy.
I won't spoil it for you. 
Here you go.
 

*hope that works. if not - http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/shawn_achor_the_happy_secret_to_better_work.html - have at it.

Another interesting thing about this guy? The things he suggests people do to become happier people (and thereby becoming more successful) are in fact things we are already encouraged to do in our church. Coincedence? ;)

Anyways.
Enough about HIM.
Let's talk about US.

We're great.
We hardly see each other these days, thanks to 3 jobs, an internship and 26 credits between us.
But ya know, that aside, life is good. 
We have clothes on our backs, food in our bellies (some of the time..) and a roof over our heads.
Also, it's my birthday in 3 days, so ya know, that just makes everything AWESOME.
I'm not quite sure when I'm going to stop being excited for my birthday.
I hope never. 


- Ally :)


1 comment:

  1. I have heard of these talks, a lot of big companies hire these kind of people - I think my brother was involved in this kind of thing for a while too at one point...anyway, if they work, that's great!
    Good to know you are doing so well. I don't read your blog often, but when I do, it makes me smile :) and I know Jo, Roy, Amy, Ben and Nicola must love them too!
    Love to you both, xx

    ReplyDelete